Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Super Moms Wear Pearls!

I've always enjoyed clothing.  Make up.  Good hair days.  And pearls, oh how I've loved pearls!  Maybe, just maybe if I looked the part or if my boys looked a certain way; we'd morph into Super Mom or Perfect Preppy Angels.  You ask:  "...how'd that work for ya?"  Not so well.

I did learn what to "put on" before an ARD, a court appearance, for a consult at a rehab or psych hospital.  Humility (and sometimes pearls).  A lot of the professionals waiting for us behind closed doors assumed we'd barge in screaming about our rights or how unfair "all of it" is....we did not.  We lived with our boy and our eyes were wide open.  Year after year teachers thanked us for the way we handled the ARDs.  This is not to boast but I pray it might help another.  The minute we think "it's us against them" our battle is lost.  The parents and teachers need to be a team.  An ARD is to help: handpick the type of teacher best suited for his personality, the time of day certain courses should be scheduled, the discipline most effective.

The ARD at the end of Reed's 4th grade year concluded with a BIP (Behavior Intervention Plan) and he was diagnosed  with early onset Bipolar and ADHD.  What a heavy, heavy yoke for my son. 

My Guy and I thought it time for a change.  I quit work, we moved to another school district and I began my eleven year stay-at-home life.  Oh how I had hope!  Such HIGH hope.  Oldest son was a senior so I'd be home for him after school.  I'd take Reed to his new school for fifth grade.  We'd chit and chat about life.  My June Cleaver came out and although I didn't wear pearls when vacuuming (well I didn't vacuum much at all!)...I was absolutely thrilled to be home.  A clean home when My Guy whistled his way through the door to deposit a 10-second kiss on my lips.  A healthy dinner with our angels around the table.  Homework finished with ease.  Prayers before bedtime.  And nights of utter peace. 

The first day of school was exciting for ME.  I got to drive my baby to school and even in 5th grade he was a bundle of affection.  I walked him through the doors and he hugged me hard, gave me a kiss and said "I love you Mom."  It made my morning and as I tootled down 249, listening to KSBJ I was soaring.  I remember what a thrill it was to go grocery shopping on a Monday morning at 8:30 am!!!  I was on my way...to being Super Mom! 

2 comments:

  1. We call them IEP meetings here, and you are right, you cannot go in defensive. These are the people who will spend the majority of each day with your child. You must work as a team. Good advice Vava. And, I'm sure the pearls didn't hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you are super mom in my book!!!!!

    ReplyDelete